~~~~

A Simply profound Sunday...

Hey kids, don't try this home...
...do you have any idea what could happen to a cookie recipe when you replace granulated sugar (that you forgot to get at the store)...with powdered sugar?
Well, I'm here to tell you.
The FIRST batch were not at all what they were supposed to be...but, we felt like we stumbled upon something that was actually quite tasty.  They were pretty too...like flat anise snowflakes that were great dippers. Unfortunately, we were too busy eating them to take pictures. Unfortunately, I did not get pictures of those. :-)
As for the second batch...(which we just KNEW would be better, because we learned from our first mistake)...





Can you say...Giant chocolate Matzo? Or...a lacy roof shingle?
How about... disaster? Yep, it was an adventure in cookie-land which allowed for  an evening of hysterical laughter.  And probably will be comic material for many evenings to come.  Thanks for making the pics possible Laura.  You may want to consider a hand-modeling career. :-)

~~~~

I feel like the cookie incident was symbolic of how things are going lately.  One small, missing ingredient can make all the difference in the world.  But even more than that..ALL the "right" ingredients...and NOT the right timing...can alter the whole recipe, as well. "It" just does not look like what you expected.  How many times can we alter, replace, shift the temperature until we get what we're hoping for?  And what if it feels like you exhausted ALL the possibilities...and yet, what you keep creating is a flattened out, burnt around the edges...hard as a rock version of the "desired outcome."  Do you keep mixing it up...baking it...shifting the perspective of how it is SUPPOSED to look...and then opening the oven door...breaking into laughter, or tears...
"Oh, @*&#%!, it happened again!!!!"

When do you, finally say..."You know, maybe I am not a baker at all!!!"  How much time/energy do you devote ...until you finally say..."OK, ONTO SOMETHING ELSE!?"

Or DO you?


And with that...I smoothly move on to my next thought...
which is: FEBRUARY
You have heard this before,  but  again I say... in my mind there is NO real purpose for the month of February and it is only good for one thing:
 
Watching THIS movie:
See you again, soon-ish...when the shock of February has softened a bit.

4 comments:

laura said...

Oh my God! That cookie shingle is hilarious!!!

Yes, I get it---for me though, it is becoming less about working with the recipe and more about what's going wrong in the mixer---like everything is there and in good amounts, but as soon as I start stirring POOF! it all goes out the window. I think I'm at the "no recipe is going to work" stage and maybe I should try something new---throw it all in there without any attachment to the results and let the mixer decide the outcome. NO MORE MEASURING EVERY SPOON-FOOL SO CAREFULLY. It just might work. If not, I can always get out that "recipe" of yours from a few posts ago and start cooking like and for the masses.

I must admit that I do love February in some ways. I love pink, conversation hearts and Valentines, so that is one bright spot! (she wrote in a bright and optimistic tone as she headed into the workroom just showered, but wanting to nap!).

Anonymous said...

That cookie looked good to me.....If you only knew how many cookies I fed to the birds!!!!!!!!!!!!! Joanie

Jonathan said...

Yes, for me the "recipe" thing is creating the right sonic mix for the song I hear in my head. Sometimes it works, and sometimes I get...

Something else. Maybe better. Maybe not. Keep on playin"!

Linda said...

As for the "recipe thing," sometimes it feels like someone left my cakes out in the snow, and I'll never have that recipe again.