"Judge Not, That Ye be Not Judged"
Matt, 7:1

 Please see HAITI link to the right of this post>>>


The weary weekend began on Friday evening as I attended a memorial service for a beloved member of the community.  Standing room only as we listened to Coltrane being played in the background...waiting to hear words that would break our hearts and hoping to hear a word to lift our spirits, from people who knew him much better than I did. A slight wave of relief reverberated through the air as certain speakers spoke of grief being a different experience for everyone and the difficulty  in letting go when death is of a violent nature. Slight relief.
My thoughts...
Certain people live on this earth, some for shorter a period than others...to make an impact with their lives and through their death.  And when they go,  they leave us with a longing to become more like them.  Wanting to be a better person for knowing them and in losing them. I left the memorial with only a tiny sense of relief...and some hope that I might use my heart wisely and fulfill some of my heart's desires by using my brain...and the gifts bestowed upon me that need both to manifest.  Heart & Mind.    "Write, write, write", he said. 
"I am...I am...I am."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paralleling this Memorial event, I was met with an odd challenge of the heart & brain.  As I was reminded of another Memorial. This time it was the knowledge,  that a memorial structure that was built 5 years ago to commemorate a dear, dear friend...was being dismantled.  {Inside info: A few weeks ago I had a dream that I walked into the room at the church where this memorial was installed...and as I turned to see it...it was not there.  I exclaimed in my dream..."It's gone, the heart is gone...they took it away. WHY?"
I woke up hearing "The heart is gone. The heart is gone."
The words were layered with so many different meanings that my head was spinning "OK...this is apparently symbolic"}

Ha. So much for trying to ride the wave of denial on the "symbolic' surfboard. Because indeed the HEART structure that went missing...was removed by somebody or several somebody's that were "advised" that it needed to go.  Perhaps...because this certain church was in the process of electing a new minister and thus...the memory of a past minister was just too much. Maybe it took up too much space...(on this one wall, in this one room of a rather large complex),  Too intimidating, maybe? Maybe in their ALL-KNOWING-ness they concluded that it did not inspire people anymore.  OK...it's all dried up...time is up!!!
WHAT? 
IT WAS A MEMORIAL FOR GOODNESS' SAKE!!!!!!  

OK...apparently, I am the one that is amiss here...because I just DO NOT GET IT. Hey, sure...he was a DEAR friend...but honestly I rarely visit that place anymore...except for an occasional event...so it is not actually affecting ME in that way...and yet, I wonder if there may be some parishioners who DID occasionally need that heart-reminder so they could continue to be a better person.  And THAT was the original intent of this HEART...it was indeed VERY symbolic and carefully created and implemented to remember AND inspire. Did those in power come to the conclusion that a clean sweep was  needed?  Did it seem like a progressive move to obliterate anything that might tweak some inspiration from the past.  Do pesky memories like this just clog the pipeline to the future? Yes, that's the ticket (!)...to making "a success" of this 'church business' !!!!
(please feel free to insert major sarcasm).
 So...I guess this is how you UN-memorialize someone. I cannot say that I have been able to come up with any profound revelations regarding this event.

He doesn't care.  He laughs. (And obviously knew that I would find this odd...and sent me 'heads up' via the dream. Symbolic & literal).
And all I can do is simply roll my eyes and shake my head.
"What is wrong with them"?

Better yet....
What is wrong with me?
OK, I'll tell you what's wrong with me.  In MY opinion, often...my thought process, my ideas, my insights & observations... seem to make sense.   

"Whoa..".~one blog reader says to another.."She IS getting full of herself, isn't she"?~
Well, think what you will.  Because honestly... "making sense", in my opinion...  is a flaw.  It hasn't much of a place in the workings of the world right now. Even in my small corner of the world,  sense seems...well, senseless
It's a heavy burden.
God, please have mercy on my wretched little soul.


Moving right along....
I sit. I think. I pray that I may become a better person.



11 comments:

Linda said...

"Every Time We Say Goodbye:" [Sigh!] thank you. I just added Shirley Bassey's version to my playlist.

"I pray that I may become a better person." ---Huh?

Thanks for the link to donate for Haiti. Bless them all!

Anonymous said...

As I sit here drying my tears and thinking how blessed I am to have you in my life..... Please don't stop writing..XXOO Joanie

Anonymous said...

You do know that Stardust was the song that Uncle nick played..... and I sang with him........My tears just will not dry tonight........

Christine Marie said...

OK,just so all you guys know... Anonymous/Joanie, is my sister who is constantly FREAKING ME OUT...with her little..."oh, by the way's"...and then hits me with a piece of family trivia that I have NEVER HEARD BEFORE!!!!

Jeeeeeeeez.

a little hollow bone said...

A beautiful blog entry...

...which inspired some thoughts.

Sometimes no sense makes sense. For me it is like being in the eye of a hurricane. I have been blown in one direction, and have yet to be blown in the other, but in the end the storm will pass, and I will remain. But it is the knowledge in the central place of stillness that is valuable.

Possibly the man I have only seen in visions is now ready to completely let go of his attachment to this world. And that means that those who remain must let go of him. But if they are like little children taking their first steps, they CAN walk or toddle because of his support. And all will be well.

Blessings!

- a little hollow bone

Anonymous said...

That's what I am here for.... I still love your Blog!!!!! XXOO

laura said...

I am dying over Stardust right now--it moves me so much.

Making sense in a senseless world is not senseless, but it is indeed a burden because when you make sense, you lose the buffer of patience that most of us have for waiting for people to master the obvious. Like, there is no patience or tolerance, yet no urgency and excitement either. Just a flatness. Does that make sense?

On the memorial? If it was removed so as not to be intimidating then I'm starting a letter writing campaign and a March on Washington immediately because really, how can any president be expected to do a good job with all those big intimidating memorials in such close proximity to the White House? I say we start with the Lincoln Memorial...it's got to go! My God, who could fill those shoes???? Jeez.

by the way--the word verification on my comment is "abokstor"-which sounds a like " a book store" and I think is is a sign to keep writing and writing and writing.

bernadette said...

I am sending your way a little blessing for the wonderful melodies that have been a blessing in themselves and have helped with my reflections....your music defines sense!!

Michelle said...

I've been reading your blog for a year or so and never commented, but this post brings me out of hiding. I feel I am missing something. I read through your other comments hoping that someone else would touch on it, but I didn't see anything. I don't think we are getting it. It's as if there is something plainly obvious in your words that is being missed. I wish I could run one of those markers that reveals invisible ink over the lines so I could see what we're missing.

No offense other commentators, but I think there's something else being said and we're not picking it up.

Michelle in Melbourne
I've never left a comment on a blog so I hope this takes.

Christine Marie said...

No sense makes sense...the Lincoln memorial...music defines sense! All great comments...THANK YOU all for taking the time to send!!

Michelle...yes. You've made an astute observation. There is a subtlety here...that I am not quite sure was picked up on. As I wrote the post...I wondered if it would be.
The title of the post, my sarcasm and true desire to become a "better person"...while viewing a 'sensible nature' as a flaw...adds up to something absurd & perhaps, obtuse.
I appreicate your thoughts and may be writing a bit more along the same lines...to bring more of 'whatever it is" out.

Hope to see your name here more often!

Anonymous said...

Christine, I love you and I love your blog and I feel like every time I read and then re-read a post, I get something really different out of it depending on what I'm bringing to it. Keep up the good work. Write on all the levels. Keep everyone guessing. Keep the good music coming!
xoxoxoxox
Rena