DO YOU NEED A LITTLE CHRISTMAS, TOO? (this post is dedicated to my two sisters, Joanne & Carol...who love to peek into my humble little sanctuary, from far-away lands :-) I love this little folded and somewhat mutilated Angel. She has been in the family since the 80's. That is just one of the memories that crawled out and grabbed me as I unpacked the Christmas box es. It came early this year. Traditionally, I do not feel the Christmas Spirit hit me until after my birthday (Dec. 13), but THIS year, I needed a little Christmas to perk things up. So even before I celebrated my 54th Christmas...I opened up the two treasure boxes of Christmas delights. After a few days strewn over the table top...
...I began to feel the Spirit. I started by throwing together a humble, yet good size wreath for the door. There she is...
As I continued over the next days to decorate.... meaning... gently tossing items in the general direction of where I THOUGHT they should be...they began to re-tell their stories....
A couple things stand out.... Here is my "Too lazy to be a real druid" Santa figure.
Here is "The Wizard' Santa... OK, I name my Christmas Tchotchkes...so sue me. :-)
A plate that Matthew made in first grade AND do you see those two beady eyes in the background...peeking out from what appears to be fluffy-globs of cotton stuck to a...a...toilet paper roll? Yeah...Matthew. Kindergarten.
I do not actually remember a Christmas...without this tablecloth So that means, it might be older than me...or very close! Although, I think it's in much better condition. :-/
Here's an interesting little group... far left...Matthew's first ornament...back: vintage tin angel...middle...little ceramic angel from MY childhood...(certainly vintage :-)...and on the right: Matthew's FROSTY bell ornament that I got him when he was sick with a terrible ear infection over his 4th Christmas. Yeah...all that stored information and yet, I lose track of my eyeglasses...several times a day. Jeeesh!
Here's a cute one. He plays Jingle bells..or was it Here comes Santa Claus? I am not sure... even though I love this vintage Santa...the continual music playing when the kids were younger...well, let's just say I NEVER got around to getting new batteries for it...in the last 15 years. :-)
This has only been lighting up our Christmas for only a few years now...but has definitely lost some of it's fiber-optic magic... Charlie Brown certainly can still one up (or would that be a one-down?) me on sad little trees...but this one might be a runner up.
But HEY...when the lights are down... not TOO sad at all!!
As I said...things have found homes, Christmas IS beginning to form around here... but honestly...I am still decorating and rearranging...tonight!
Well, that's it for the Almost-Christmas blog. Not earth moving in any profound way...but memories ARE very powerful & comforting. I am wishing you many fond memories. See you again...in a few days! Oh yeah...enjoy the music. ~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris,It's beautiful... I remember the angel. Mom use to put Christmas things on her table and I do the same with the one I have.......Your tree is beautiful.......Love Big Sis.......... P.S. Boy do you smell good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the music..... XXOO

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed looking at your treasures and what a set of song selections-keeping them handy-
I too, caught the Christmas bug much earlier than usual-now that most all the gifts are wrapped, and the kitchen table is decorated, I may actually be just about ready- well, after a good cleaning maybe-
wish I hadn't forgot my camera at Deonne's- you could get a good laugh-
I wanted a real tree again this year-I wanted lights up in the living room again-not gonna happen-
Well Mr. Bundy came up with the craziest plan- it all started when I was talking about giving away a gift that I had asked Jim to get me for Christmas one year- a 5 ft singing and dancing Santa- it once made me laugh- hahaha. We only had it out 2 years-anyway, he said "how about we put Santa on the table with the ceramic tree"? It was such an outrageous idea, how could I say no? All the presents even fit up there with him, and he can still sing and dance after all these years- hahaha Sadie does not trust him, but since he quit singing, she quit barking- but she still doesn't like him there- hahaha I wish I had my camera, I know he looks as nutty as I think he does- I guess he still amuses me- wait till the girls see him....... hahaha this could be the start of a family tradition.

Thanks for reminding me why we keep our treasures handy,and how much fun it is to look at them every year.
Love,
Wanita

NightTrain said...

Fantastic!! I love that opening song and I'd never heard it from the actual soundtrack. Good selection of Xmas songs. Proud of ya Chri-SELL-a.

laura said...

I love that last picture!!! I have known you a long time, but I never realized you has so many Santas..lazy, wizard or otherwise!

I love Matthew's plate!!

rose said...

beautiful.. you always know how to share feelings so that i can be there too.. Vered