Speaking of Happiness...

I ran into Abraham the other day on the bus.
I wondered if I would see him again before I left town.

I had thought about him a lot since I had changed jobs and had not bumped into him like I used to.

Abraham is a small, stout man of Guatemalan heritage. He walks with a slight limp and uses a cane  He is in his...60's.  No, maybe 70's?  He's one of those ageless wonders with one of those raspy, melodic voices that make you smile just to hear him speak.

 He would come into the shop for odd jobs which one of my bosses would gladly give him and he was always a joy to work with.  Some days he would come in to buy a new harmonica. He sits on the benches in front of businesses or on the corners of the busy streets and plays for hours. In all kids of weather...daytime or night.  He plays well.  And sometimes even gets some decent contributions thrown into his hat that he sets by his feet.

Abraham never has a bad thing to say about anyone.  He never complains about the weather. He's always smiling. He always is happy to see you and eager to engage in conversation. And he has all his faculties, as they say.

He has been homeless. He has been sick. He has been jobless. He often lives way below the poverty level. He has an adult son who is mentally challenged. (His son's name is Isaac.  No, really)

So there he was...with his big smile flashing at me.
"Long time no see!"

We looked at the Christmas lights from the bus and he told me about the Christmas dinner he and his son planned to have in their relatively newly claimed apartment.  A real apartment.
During a momentarily lull...I wondered if I should actually say goodbye to him.
 "Well, I'll know...", I thought.

In a flash he turned to me and said..."We are taking the same bus...where abouts do you live?"

"Well, funny you should ask because I live....." explaining the area where my duplex is and then I said..."...but, I will be moving soon.  So, actually I am really glad to run into you tonight.". He listened attentively as I told him my plan and then shared with me HIS plan that he may be moving too.  His son, he said,  was missing his old friends that still live in their hometown in Northern Indiana.

We chatted more and admired more of the sparkling lights.  When we were approaching my bus stop...I said..."Abraham, it was such a pleasure to know you and I wish you the best of everything...have a wonderful life".

I began to get up and he said..."Thank you...and I ALREADY have a good life...and the best of everything:
"I KNOW", I said.
He continued..."You know...even when I was homeless....I still would say I have a good life".
Looking right into his sparkly eyes..."I KNOW", I replied." I've been listening."

He smiled.
I got off the bus.

And that is Abraham.












2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful,It brought a smile to my face and tears in my eyes...... What Love that Man has in his heart.Hope that it will help us live and feel as he does......

laura said...

I didn't even see your winter holiday snowflake tree! Love it!

I am in tears over Abraham...love this and needed to read it. It puts it all in perspective.