TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES

Truth or Consequences What a beautiful, relaxed Sunday...Monday, I am having. I can even ALMOST ignore the tree pollen induced sniffles and earth shaking sneezing...that has been sneaking up on me. The snap in the air brings me closer to my Autumn-self...and THAT self is more prone to organizing and creativity than the Summer self is... even though I DO enjoy the sun and humidity for other reasons. Sunday morning I created my table-scape to take me through the last days of August and finished some projects that I have procrastinating about for weeks. 10 minutes with this...another 20 with that...a half an hour here...another 10 over there...why DID I put this stuff off for so long? Even what I decided to make as a special treat SHOULD have/COULD have been a perfect remedy for A HOT Sunday afternoon...but no.......I am just making it today even though it has been on my mind all summer: Home made Sangria. Well, OK..I did NOT crush the grapes and ferment the wine in wooden barrels hidden in my bedroom closet......but you know...it's as 'home-made' as a bottle of wine and a liter of soda and fresh fruit can make it. :-) As usual...I have been using my radar to find the least expected best movies ever at the library. Sometimes they have been just plain feel good films...like a recent find: THE DARLING BUDS OF MAY, Adorable!!!!. Or astounding biographies like LILY LANGTRY, which includes great little scenes with Oscar Wilde and Whistler! Or deeply profound, mind boggling artsy stuff like one all-time favorite: BEE SEASON. I particularly like those movies that pull on a heart-string or "mind-string' of my own...that perhaps I can relate to it in some way. A recent unexpected treat was a movie called DAKOTA SKYE. I almost passed it up because it appeared to be a teen movie...but I am glad I took the time to read the cover. It is indeed about a teenage girl... who posses a "super power". She can tell when someone is lying. The movie was entertaining, moving. There is a welcome "twist of truth" at the end of the movie...that leaves one on an up note. And leaves Dakota in a good place. Worth watching, I say! But...can you imagine how difficult that might be... to have that ability? What is one supposed to do with information...that does not actually 'belong to them'...but for some unknown reason is on loan to them for a period of time. Do you think it may be alarming or tiring at times...for a person to know/feel when an untruth is being projected... ~Does the "liar" know they are sharing half-truths? ~Are they telling tales on purpose, with intent to deceive? ~ Maybe the part of the story that does not "fit quite right"...is all the speaker knows...it's their sincere version of the truth. Does that make it an UN-lie? ~Or maybe they have been telling the story for so long...withholding or 'embellishing' with such determination, that now, THEY even believe their own fabrications. Do you see what an annoying phenomenon this could be for the gifted listener? ~First to detect the tiniest incongruencies that may mean no harm at all... less than a white lie. ~Then, watching as words fade into darker shades in other instances, becoming more blurry. ~And a different day/conversation/person...when the blur, now a fuzzy static, creeps in like a gray fog... making it deeply irritating. ~Then...infuriating when tuned into--(without trying, mind you...all this is without trying.......) the dark, dense facades constructed to cover up what one does not want to look at themselves. Perhaps the speaker thinks that with practice...it (whatever the lie is...or the truth isn't) will just disappear if distorted enough times. A device of self defense perhaps, or self-preservation. Maybe it feels as though the whole TRUTH would kill them...because it is too much, too real. But the gifted listener cannot actually be fooled. Give or take a detail or two. A seasoned listener may even be fine-tuned enough to categorize & fit the above round and square pegs into their proper holes...but how does the proper organization of a lie, really matter? And do levels of truth exist... round or square, fitting into their respective holes according to......according to what? This seemingly unfair, reoccurring scenario, whether judged as right or wrong...or not judged at all, but simply 'witnessed'... can even push the most patient listener to seclusion. Just as the young Dakota was pushed, needing a wide margin between the speaking world and the sanctuary of her own wordless living space...for undetermined, indefinite periods of time. Yes, very difficult indeed. ~~~Well, this post is 'sans' visuals, because there is a glitch with the camera I used to take pics of my "table-scape"! Maybe next time. See you in September!

5 comments:

Winddancer said...

Hey Christine,

Very insightful commentary about lies and liars or half-truth tellers. Sometimes it is in the eye of the beholder, from their perspective. Sometimes a lie is just a lie. I should watch that movie. Sounds interesting.

laura said...

I agree, this post is super insightful.

I can turn it inward and ask myself where/when do I lie to others or myself, but I'll also admit that it triggers something in me...something I've found happening over and over lately. My lack of patience and tolerance...not just for my own fiction, but for listening to others create fictional lives.

I mean, it's hard when I have to face my own blind spots and it's not easy to tear off the blinders, and yet I am at a point where I want to see the truth. This makes it so hard to deal with people (good people who I love) who won't break the myths of their own lives.

It's hard to put it all on the table only to have someone say, "Yeah? Well, I stopped lying to myself years ago." when I hear the lies they tell themselves day after day. What do I say to them when I see them trying to escape to wordless-ness, but then take the lies with them and create "noise" (busy-ness, drama, health issues etc...) but claim to be free of all untruths?

Christine Marie said...

This IS really a sticky subject!

After I posted, I thought I could have mentioned a little about the VIBRATION of the lie...and that might have changed the climate a little bit.
But it gets complicated...

Honestly...:-) my tolerance level feels very iffy right now too...but one thing we might consider IS the fact that when this stuff happens...it DOES promote OUR OWN SELF REFLECTION!
And you know what? Maybe that is why we must sometimes see it up close and personal.
I really want to write more in response to the comments here, so far...but it is getting so wordy...
humility, denial, blah, balh blah...
Maybe more another time! Or...a second post?
But..KEEP them coming.(the comments!)

Christine Marie said...

I got several comments via email, guess not everyone wants to go straight to the blog.

There is a question of PRIVACY.
Indeed...PRIVACY is a completely different vibration. And, I hope I made it clear that that the sort of 'gifted listener'...that I am speaking of, does NOT pry into the mind of anyone...or even the vibrational field. There is no 'retrieving' any info, or just being nosey! It JUST happens. Without choice. The sense of it, the feeling, the thought...or even specific details...without effort OR desire to do so.
Like..."Now, why do I need to know THAT?"

Anonymous said...

you bring upsome very interesting points ,especially about the different degrees,layers of truth-I know what you mean-a 2 edged sword being able to "feel" lies, untruths....- I'm getting a headache imagining trying to analyze all the layers-I'll pass on that gift-I like the idea better that it is just a small degree of the gift-you know, it comes and goes and there is just an inkling- hahahaahahaha - that will do me,I'm good- hahaha
you are a very good story teller
thank you for bringing this up