SILENT NIGHT...NOT! OK...I DID get carried away with the music list this week. ( count 'em...21?) But once I started looking for Christmas Songs, I could not quit. Christmas is all about MUSIC, in my opinion. You have heard some of this before, but...Oh well...what the heck.........
Alert!!!!!!
Childhood Christmas Memory:
I was 5 years old when we got our first high tech music system :-). My parents KNEW that this would be a BIG deal for me. Apparently, I DID display an interest in all kinds of music at a very early age and I am still not sure why I was not "persuaded" to play an instrument. Anyway...on my 5th Christmas Morning...there it was in the enclosed hallway by the stairs that led up to our second story apartment. They did not bring inside because they didn't want to take the chance of it being seen before Morning. (I was a sneaky little kid). It was a MAGNAVOX HI-FI console...shiny cherry wood with gold trim....very cool for 1960. On the top, where the sliding door was, opening up to the turntable...the PERRY COMO ALBUM that you see at the beginning of this ...memory. I LOVED HIM. We watched his Christmas Special every year. And...he reminded me of my favorite Uncle. I was thrilled. The next year..one of my BIG surprises was an ANDY WILLIAMS Christmas Album. Oh sure, I got toys and clothes just as I did the previous year and every year thereafter. But MUSIC...was magical. And as our record collection grew, so did my love of music and my tastes. There was Frank, Dean, Doris... (I was on first name basis with ALL of them) and Classical, Jazz, showtunes. (You may remember my POST about how Music effects us and how I memorized all the lyrics of the "My Fair Lady, West Side Story and The Sound of Music" soundtracks by the time I was ten years old.) I loved it all. I played it all...on my own. Then as I got older...there was the Beatles and the Monkees....and whatever singing heartthrob of the week got my attention. But that 'new' music did not replace what I was brought up with....it was added to my personal repertoire. It was not unusual for me to buy some McCartney and Sinatra on the same day. I can still SMELL the Vinyl Records and the electrical/woodsy scent of the " Hi-Fi set", as my father called it. You know, even though I love technology and high quality recording, I do miss LP's, don't you? Is it just nostalgia or is there something more to it? But...I must admit that the swiftness in which we can now in this day and age look up songs and listen to music on our home computers is kind of like...heaven. I hope you enjoy listening to the playlist as much as I enjoyed creating it. And I am hoping that my daughter will not mind when I log on to my BLOG at her house In St. Louis, where I will be spending Christmas this year...just so I can listen to MY music. :-) See you after Christmas! Hey...Click HERE for my Christmas Greeting for all of YOU.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about being on a first name basis with singers...in our house is was Joan (Baez), Bob(Dylan), Pete(Seeger) and Bonnie (Kolack)...My brother and I didn't get much exposure to anything else, but later...I discovered Frank Too.

I have my father's collection of folk and jazz albums and just recently I realized that I may keep a few all-time favorites (Nina Simone, Bob's Nashville Skyline), but that it's time to move them on...found a great tutorial for turning them into bowls though, so I may make a few to store beads/craft/art tools in. This way they will be in view everyday as I work and maybe I'll play the "albums" on my computer.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Just got on and read your e-mail, I went right to your blog.. And a few tears were on my cheeks..... I Iremember your music Christmas,you always enjoyed comming to my house and listening to music with us!!! I loved your blog and the music..The tears,,, Thankyou .. Oh yes do you remember who else LIKED Perry????? John is on now.....Oh John is singing now!!

Anonymous said...

I went right to your blog... And a few tears were on my cheeks..... I remember your music. Christmas...you always enjoyed coming to my house and listening to music with us!!! I loved your blog and the music...the tears... Thank you. Oh yes do you remember who else LIKED Perry????? John is on now.....Oh John is singing now!!